[CBQ] Re: Review of MTH/RailKing 3-Rail O-Gauge CZ Set

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Review of MTH/RailKing 3-Rail O-Gauge CZ Set
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 02:58:53 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hi Bob,

I also love 3RD Rail/Sunset's CB&Q 4-8-4 steame loco.  Since it is a
scale model rather than a semi-scale model, its minimum curve is O-
72.  Many (if not most) O-gauge layouts do not have the physical
space for the 72" diameter curves required.  This is where a semi-
scale Q 4-8-4 , if prototypically decorated even if the tooling is
generic, may have a good market for the more typical-size O-gauge
layout with O-31 to O-54 curves.  (Although I do not currently have
a layout, I amy be able to just fit O-72 in my available space.)
3rd Rail's upcoming CB&Q 4-6-4 is supposed to operated on O-54 and
above curves.

I also agree that Willims has made some very good CB&Q models.  I
like their Zephyr E7 & F7, their blackbird GP9's, and redbird GP38.
Their green & black CB&Q heavyweight passenger cars are also really
nice and the only ones that I know of in O-gauge (I use them for
excursion service with the 3RD Rail 4-8-4.).

But Williams has also made some weird CB&Q stuff too.  Examples are
a  blackbird porthole steel caboose (I could have lived with it in
Chinese red or some other prototypical scheme), silver & red 44-ton
switcher (a reproduction of a 1950's Lionel model), and some Zephyr
cars with the ribbon lettering and "Blackhawk" car names.

I guess we buy what we can use & like and leave the rest.

Bill

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Bob Webber <no17@c...> wrote:
> [...]
> O "scale" and have been quite successful.  Williams has also done
quite
> well when sticking to prototypical designs.  It would seem that
after the
> Lionel fiasco, MTH would have learned something, but I think they
only
> learned money talks.
>
> At 09:06 PM 5/28/2005, you wrote:
> >Hi Bob,
> >
> >Thanks for the response.  This CZ set is part of MTH's RailKing
> >line, which are intended to be semi-scale models that operate on
> >traditional tight O-31 curves.  For some odd reason, O-gauge
> >manufacturers often assume that O-31 operators are not concerned
> >with prototypical accuracy for semi-scale models.  I would bet
that
> >the demand for a product would be a bit stronger if they were to
> >pint the models in as prototypical a paint scheme as possible.  I
> >understand a manufacturer using their E3 tooling for a CB&Q Zephyr
> >diesel becuase the development of E5 tooling would be too costly
> >(only the Q & subs had E5's, too few road names to spread the
> >tooling costs over).  But it would seem that sticking to the more
> >prototypical paint scheme with silver roofs and undersides would
be
> >just as easy as painting it the incorrect black.  As for the cars,
> >correct CZ names and silver trucks probably doesn't cost them any
> >more than using incorrect names and black trucks.  I am at least
> >glad that they are offering something in CB&Q.
> >
> >I used to discuss prototypical CZ paint schemes for Q models with
> >the O-gauge manufacturers directly at train shows and via US mail
&
> >e-mail.  In some cases, they folowed the suggestions from me &
other
> >Q fans which resulted in some very nice models being produced.  In
> >other cases, our suggestions have been ignored and some bizarre Q
> >models have been made.  Lately I have not had much free time to
> >chase after all the details with manufacturer's offerings.
> >
> >I basically posted this info so that the CBQlist was aware of this
> >CZ RailKing model.  Of course, we all decide for ourselves what
> >specific models meet our particular needs.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Bill
> >
> >--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Bob Webber <no17@c...> wrote:
> > > It would be nice if MTH actually cracked a book - or took a few
> >moments to
> > > look on line to name their cars.  Why use Silver Coyote (a
correct
> >name),
> > > then use Vista, Mist & Spring none of which are correct?  At
least
> >Falls &
> > > Cafe are correct.  Silver Blade isn't and didn't exist (but
then,
> >neither
> > > did Silver Mist or Silver Spring - and Silver Vista was a Dome
Obs
> >for the
> > > TZ).
> > >
> > > If they are going to go to the trouble of calling them CZ cars,
> >they could
> > > try to get more of the names right - let alone the types. No
> >reflection on
> > > your note at all - I just don't understand why manufacturers
can't
> >spend
> > > more than a couple of seconds to find this information.

> >CB&Q

> >fluted
The
> >coach