[CBQ] Re: CB&Q HC-1's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q HC-1's
From: "Steve Fuchs" <fuchst900@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 17:02:39 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Just a quick response to the HC-1 questions.  I have build two
bowsers. I replaced the ladders with Details Associates, I think
they are FC6242, 7 rung, 18.25 spacing. Better verify that number it
may be the 16" ones.  If you model C&S 1954 built ones the straight
rungs, which dont extend out dont look too bad.  I just though if I
tried to drill all thos hole, the end result would not be as nice.
The earlier ones have drop grabs. I purchased P2K National B1 trucks
for the CB&Q one I will do later.  The AB valve on the bowser is
very nice. It has dimples to drill out. I drill them all the way
through and fit the lines the way I want them and then ACC them,
just cut off the protruding lines on the other side of the valve.
Again not perfect but it cuts down on the frustration of getting all
those lines perfect. The long angle iron that holds the brake wheel
and assembly is not bent correct for a CB&Q car. The car is very
attractive when finished. The roof is going to be hard. I have
started by building the brackets for the release rods. I cut 8 (one
side) pieces extra long together on the ends and drilled them all at
once;watch the bit it seems to wander.  Maybe cut them extra long so
you dont ruin the whole lot. then I filed the contour with a round
file.  At this time, I dont know if this method needs more patience
or just changing. In the area of decals, I used what was available,
Champ for the HC411. Ther is no "S" for the C&S modelers. I
purchased a set of 3/32 Railroad Roman white lettering.  I think
they are a little too big although they should be a shade smaller, I
think the package is mismarked. 7/64ths would scale out a little too
large.
Well, I hope this helps if you are doing a project of this nature.
These are just what I encountered.  Bulletin #20 becomes the bible
for a project of this nature.  Steve Fuchs

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Lotz" <dave_lotz@c...> wrote:
> Tom & Listers,
>
> 1.    The Bowser hopper is VERY close to the CB&Q HC-1.  There are
minor roof
> variations, but for those needing an exact roof, Martin Lofton
makes the
> correct roof.  I've not seen the Kato model, but will get one to
do a
> comparison.
> 2.    This is not an Order form ? it is merely a survey to
determine the
> interest in the various schemes.  I doubt that I will run all the
schemes at
> one time, but most likely will pick a couple at a time to run.
> 3.    I'm not completely decided on the numbering.  It has been
suggested to do
> this a couple of ways ? to run two cars with different complete
numbers
> applied and then decals with the last three numbers having a
background that
> matches the car color to apply over the printed numbers ? or apply
only the
> first three numbers and include dry transfers or decals with the
last three
> numbers ? or do them unnumbered and include dry transfers or
decals with the
> whole number.  I'm leaning towards the first option.  When adding
numbers
> the trick is to use some type of decal solvent and then overspray
with a
> clear coat to cover the decal film.
>
> Dave

Kato