[CBQ] Re: CZ Car washers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CZ Car washers
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 02:59:24 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob -

I took the CZ from Oakland to somewhere in central Colorado (can't
remember the station; around Middle Park, I think, and certainly
before Moffat). I have a distinct memory of going through the washers
in Salt Lake. This was in September, 1965.

Jonathan

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Bob Webber <no17@c...> wrote:
> In a July 1953 issue of "Electromet Review" (a Union Carbide and
Carbon
> Corp. organ), There is a short article entitled "Giving Them The
Brush Off
> Railroad Trestle Shower Cleans Stainless Steel Coaches Daily".
>
> It discusses the washing done for the CZ.  Now, as I've said, I took
the CZ
> more than a few times, but post '60.  What I found of interest was
the
> revelation that the CZ was cleaned  with Mechanical and power
washing units
> in Oakland & Chicago (makes sense), the Q handled the washing in
Denver
> (for some reason I thought it was done by the Rio Grande, but it
makes
> sense given the track layout),  and again, the washing was
mechanical and
> power washing.   It then goes on to say that the D&RGW washes the
five
> domes in Salt Lake City and the WP washes the side of the train at
Portola.

> Now, I remember going through the washer at Denver, it was always a
thrill
> of the trip (for boys) to be in the dome and watch the washing.  I
remember
> the Portola washers too.  But I'll be darned if I recall the Salt
Lake City

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM