Re: [CBQ] Re: Re: CZ & DZ consist information.

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Re: CZ & DZ consist information.
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 12:08:47 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
It was not behind the Observation - at least all the times I saw / rode it.

C&O had a "huge" surplus of sleeping cars in the 60's.  SP as well - though
that was a lot more convenient to Oakland.

As to C&NW, PRR or UP, it really depends on when (seasonal) and where (tour
groups between Chicago & Denver/Glenwood Springs).

C&NW was not, by any means, a habitual visitor.  Up was more so, but
usually for tour groups ending in Denver.  PRR cars were definitely to be
seen through out the 60's - they were on trains I rode, trains I met and
trains I saw.  My father being extremely interested in PRR, we were ALWAYS
looking for PRR cars.

SP cars were extremely common.  As were NYC cars.  now, all I have is about
200 consists for the 60's - that certainly is not a good statistical
extract, given that the time of year was a tremendous difference maker, not
only in train makeup, but also in size/length.  Anything from 22 cars down
to 7.  I do plan on going to see if I can find more consists at the
Newberry.  I would love to see if anyone had other ideas as to where to
obtain more.

At 11:53 AM 4/29/2005, you wrote:

> >By the mid-60's, the cars that show up most from the PRR and the NYC are
> >not 10-5's or 10'6s, but 4-4-2's.   These cars also show up from the
> >AT&SF,SP&UP.  6-6-4's show up from the C&NW and the IC, as well as the UP.
>
>Although this is strictly anecdotal, my only recollection of the
>regular extra CZ sleepers coming through Sacramento were C&O and SP.
>On multiple CZ trips in the '60s, we seemed to always draw a bedroom
>suite in a C&O car. Although seeing the CZ often, I never once ever
>saw CNW, UP, or PRR cars in the consists.
>
>I do know the statistical difference between hard data and casual
>observation ;-)
>
>A question to Ed deRouin:  was the Denver-Alliance car that was
>dropped at Brush coupled behind the observation car for that short
>distance, or was it in the usual location requiring locomotive
>uncoupling, etc. (a time waster)?
>
>Denny
>--
>Denny S. Anspach, MD