Re: [CBQ] 4978 2-8-2 - another idea

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 4978 2-8-2 - another idea
From: "Bob Yarger" <ryarger@rypn.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2005 07:38:37 -0400
Following some discussion on the Rock Island list, here is an idea for the
possible reproduction of CB&Q O1a's and other locomotives that might share a
common running gear mechanism.  This would require some person or group
owning a brass model to sacrifice it, at least for a while.

First, the model would be dismantled, then most of the appliances removed
from the boiler, and probably the cab also.  Then, this bare boiler would be
surrounded by one of the various forms of silicone rubber, to make a reverse
mold, split in half.  Then, this mold could be used to reproduce limited
quantities of that boiler, either in casting resin or in a low melting
temperature metal, like pewter or type metal (linotype slugs, etc.).  The
tender could be done the same way.  Cabs could possibly be reproduced this
way, but separate brass etchings might work better.  The bare boiler could
then be fitted with various lost wax appliances and placed atop an available
chassis, like the Athearn 2-8-2, or BLI's.  Other non-common parts, like
valve gear hangers and trailing trucks would require some type of
reproduction, either in rubber molds or by lost wax casting.

While this sounds simple, such manufacture really requires professional
equipment and someone who really knows what they are doing to get decent
reproduction.  I believe the Cary replacement boilers of the 1960s were made
this way.   Also, the rubber molds are quite limited in use, and require
replacement after a few castings, so this would be a limited production
item.  GHQ Models does this in N scale, and their quality is quite high.

LMB Models has been out of business for many years, so I doubt if  there
would be much danger of copyright question, though later models (if there
have been any) from firms still in business might have a problem.
Reproduction under the auspices of a non-profit historical group might also
ease that situation, with proper permission obtained first.

Of course, the idea could apply to most any other engine that might utilize
an existing mechanism.  A Rock Island 4-6-2 in the 950-up series, for
instance, would fit very well over the Athearn Pacific, and would have the
proper Baker valve gear.

Possible sponsors for such limited manufacture might come from the various
historical societies devoted to a favorite RR, such as the BRHS and others.
Any thoughts or comments?

Bob Yarger, Editor
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org