[CBQ] 4978 2-8-2

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] 4978 2-8-2
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 04:02:43 +0000
Steve -
I have four LMB models of Q O-1a's which I bought for $300-$425 each.   No,
none of them are for sale.   But if you check the brass listings of Caboose
Hobbies or other internet brass dealers, it should not be difficult to find
these LMB models made in the 1960s at reasonable prices.   The major problems
are that they have open-frame motors and no cab details, and other details are
below what we find on brass models today.   The basic dimensions and structure
are correct, and some kitbashing and a can motor may make excellent models of
these older brass engines.   Cab backheads could be ordered as parts for the
Athearn 2-8-2.   The models came with either Elesco or Worthington FWH, and
4978 had an Elesco system.   You would probably not be doing any more work than
kitbashing the Athearn 2-8-2, and the tender would not require much work at all
to be accurate, i.e., changing it from straight sides to tapered sides.   A can
motor and a NWSL drive regear kit would make a great performer of it, and a
good paint and decal job would make an excellent model at a cost not much more
than the Athearn model.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM