RE: [CBQ] Re: Modified 60ft RPO by Walthers/Trainline

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Re: Modified 60ft RPO by Walthers/Trainline
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 14:59:37 -0800
Bcc:
Dave and others,

Thanks for your kind comments about my RPO.

I started with an undecorated model. Adding the ribs was simple. I  used
Evergreen StripStyrene, size .010 x .020. Refering to Bill Glick's passenger
car book as a template, I marked the locations for the ribs and then glued
them in place. Cut the ribs longer than the roof line, about 1/4 inch. I
then used Plastruct cement on the rib, and with 2 tweezers, placed the rib
on the roof line, holding in place until dried, 10 to 15 seconds.

A little trick on the lower sections of the roof, I drilled holes into the
side of the
clerestory roof very close to the roof line (below the windows),
this held one end of the styrene in place so I could bend it down
and cement the rib it in place. I used the smallest drill bit I could, I
think it was a #77 or #76.

Again, cut the ribs about 1/4 inch longer, then push one end of the rib into
the hole, glued it from the inside of the roof.  I then glued the rest of
the rib to the roof with Plastruct solvent. The extra length allowed me to
hold the rib in place with tweesters until it dired. I then trimmed the the
ribs after they set up for at least an hour.

One other thing, I did NOT use the Walthers mail catchers. I used Cal-Scale
as I think they look much better and are not oversized.

The EA unit is "Pegasus" by Railway Classics and is a real beauty. The coach
behind the RPO is one of 5 Athearn cars I modified into an articulated
Zephyr. It is a "free lanced" articualted Zephyr, gives me the feeling of
what the Q may have had. Until someone comes out with the TCZ in plastic,
this will have to do. I just can not justify paying hundreds of dollars for
a  single car or a thousand dollars for a complete set. However, I do admit
that the new imports are fantastic, I just can not afford 'em.

Anyway, model railroading is a fun hobby for me and if I can capture the
feeling of my favorite railroad, then I'm having fun.

Ray Bedard
San Jose CA

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM