Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2349

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2349
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:45:42 -0600
Bob,

To add to John's information which pertains to the individual RRs, the
three major locomotive builders each had "tank" or tender shops in the
same location as their manufacturing facilities. The design drawings
for most locomotives also included a set of drawings for construction
of the tender. Few, if any, commercially produced locomotives were
delivered without tenders. With steam locomotives, the designs were
often originated by the RR Mechanical Dept. and turned over to the
manufacturer once the bid was decided. The manufacturer would take the
design drawing and convert them into a series of detailed production
drawings for each and every component. In some cases, the RR Mechanical
design engineers collaborated with the manufacturer's design people to
develop the product. In still other cases, such as Lima locomotive
Works development of their first "Super Power" locomotives in the mid
1920s, the design was entirely created by the manufacturer and then
"sold" to the customers. All three major builders, at one time or
another, built demonstrator steam locomotives to exhibit new design
concepts that they had developed.

I have full size copies of the erection drawings for Q's M-4 and S-4
locomotives. These drawings include side elevations for both the
locomotive and the tenders. My dad had the fore sight to request these
drawings from the Q Mechanical Dept. in the mid 1950s. They were most
accommodating. In one letter, Mr. E. E. Taylor, later CMO of the Q and
subsequently the BN, even apologized that the quality of the drawings
for the S-4 was better. By the way, in some instances, RR's purchased
new tenders only from the manufacturers to replace worn out ones or to
improve the operating range of an older locomotive. One last comment,
when the USRA locomotives were designed during WWI, several tender
models were developed separately and were assigned to the various
delivered locomotive depending on need and operating circumstances.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM