Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Water Towers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Water Towers
From: Rob Adams <steamera@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 07:28:03 -0600
Tom;

The answer may depend on which tower you are trying to replicate.   If
you are just trying to capture the look, then any might work.

In my mind, the Tichy model is hands down the best kit of the three.  I
don't have any first-hand experience with the Plastruct kit, though
their kits aren't known for their detail, and the pictures I've seen
would probably steer me away from it.  The Walthers kit has slightly
"chunkier" proportions than the Tichy kit, and would be easier to
assemble.  The ladders and other detail parts are relatively crude.  The
Tichy kit has much nicer detail and has the potential to be built in
several different variations.  I've built three of them, (two towers
based on those at Burlington, and one for Centerville, IA) and all
turned out well.  They have excellent parts and in general, go together
quite well.  (I did add Grandt Line turnbuckles to the wire cross braces
though.)  The Tichy kit also includes a very nice water column.

Many of the Q's steel towers had a tapered standpipe (the column that
extends from the tank down to the ground) .  To my knowledge, there is
no HO scale kit for modeling these at present.

Thats my two cents.

Kind regards, Rob Adams

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM