[CBQ] CZ Consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CZ Consists
From: Bob Webber <zephyr1@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 06:52:42 -0800
Yes, I meant to follow up on this on this list and forgot.

I am the one who has the CZ consists on the PassConsist list, I now have
180+.  And am still determining a better method of displaying them.  I also
have a few DZ consists.

I have one that is similar to the one mentioned below with Silver Crescent
coupled to the baggage car, but in this case, it is Silver Horizon, with
the notation "DHQ" (deadheading to the Burlington).  Several times there
are deadheads to Burlington from Chicago.  On consists entering Oakland,
there are a lot of deadheads that are foreign cars (these are in fall of
'61).

BTW, I was told this weekend that if you don't have a reservation for the
Broadway cars you're SOL.  Which should tell Broadway something!  If they
are sold out before anyone has seen them, there must be a pent up demand
for such cars.  Charlie, do you know if this is true or just an unfounded
rumor?

Subject: Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists
 > >Hi all-
 > >
 > >Thinking (dreaming?) about the announced Broadway Limited CZ cars.
 > >Since the wife would never let me get them all, I need to select a
 > >set of cars for the late 1960's. Preferrably 1969.
 > >
 > >To help me choose, would any one have a consist list for this era?
 > >went through the archives and pulled up some from the mid
50's/early
 > >60's but would like something closer to my era.
 > >
 > >TIA
 > >Jeff Worones
 > >Lake Stevens WA

I was just reviewing some of the old posts and came across the
conversations concerning CZ consists.  The consist that Bob Webber
lists was unusual as it contained Silver Hyacinth and Silver Patio.
The 6-6-4 sleeper (non CZ pool sleeper) was being used as a dormitory
and the ex KCZ dome-
buffett coach was being operated as the Cable Car Room.  Why?
Because the sixth Cable Car Room car, Silver Roundup, was already out
of service due to a fire.  Therein lies the reason for the unusual
consist.  I have slides of two Number 18s with similar unusual
consists due to this situation.  One was taken between Kennedy Road
and Mill Road, just east of Bristol, IL, and either Silver Patio or
Garden is subbing in the consist for the missing Cable Car Room.
Those cars were easy to spot as they were "backwards" with the
vestibule on the forward end of the car.  In another shot taken at
the old Aurora depot, Silver Crescent is running backwards, coupled
behind the baggage car.  I suspect that this might have been due to
the out-of-service Silver Roundup and the Silver Crescent was being
used for dormitory and coach lounge space.

Homebuilt Northern

You could do worse than join the passconsist list. I recall a fellow in
there recently who had a large assortment of actual CZ consists that he
was looking for a way to organize coherently. I believe the group also
has a consist archive which may be accessible to members and is likely
to have material in it for a train as significant as the CZ. Give it a try.

JimW

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM