[CBQ] CZ Consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CZ Consists
From: Bob Webber <rswebber@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 16:21:48 -0600

Yeah, it IS ugly, but it is a start, and I am working on making things better.

If you go to
http://www.drgw.org/data/passenger/CZConsists.pdf

you will find something that looks very strange as you won't be able to
read a thing at all.  You will have to zoom in several times before things
begin to look clear.

Now, let me explain what's happening here.  The consist information is in a
spreadsheet that is 237 rows long and 22 columns wide.  What that means to
us is 237 trains and 22 cars maximum.  Unfortunately, even on a sheet of
11x17" paper, you simply can't print that so that you can see it.  I
*could* abbreviate SILVER to "S." which would cut things down and I may
well end up doing so.

When you stuff things into Adobe, the process takes what you have and
"prints" it to Adobe.  So, the resolution is not that great when you DO
zoom it out to where you can read the car names.

Obviously a lot more work is in store.  I'm still playing with formats -
and there are notes that should go with this too - for instance, notes on
the foreign cars, deadheading cars, notes on the baggage cars that get
tagged on in Omaha, etc.

Comments would be welcome, as I say, this is most definitely a work in
progress.  The car lines are not available for over 85% of these and can
not be obtained - so I can't put column headings (like CZ10 or CZ11).  Some
can be extrapolated, as in the baggage or the lounge, but I'm not sure that
it would be useful?   Would it be better to see the columns with the
"normal" consist and then have blanks if those cars don't show up?  I know
some depot sheets show it this way.

Now, for Burlington fans, this is especially nice as it includes info
compiled from inserts from Zephyrs, Ken Martin's contributions, and from
the WP List.  But, it also has a lot from 1966 which are pure Burlington
operations info from teletypes from Cicero, Lincoln and Bond (for Denver's
use).

I have additional DZ consists for this same period that I will be sharing
as well.  Some HUGE trains here.  But I won't until I hammer out the format.

For information on the "foreign cars" in the list, see:
http://www.drgw.org/data/passenger/lightweight.pdf

http://us.click.yahoo.com/EpW3eD/3MnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM