[CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Late 60's California Zephyr consists
From: "homebuiltnorthern" <milw261@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 23:36:21 -0000

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Bob Webber <rswebber@c...> wrote:
> 6/10/1969
> Silver Coyote
> Silver Hyacinth
> Silver Polar
> Silver Rifle
> Silver Thistle
> Silver Patio
> Silver Banquet
> Silver Quail
> Silver Valley
> Silver Gorge
> Silver Glacier
> Silver Planet
>

> At 04:04 PM 1/12/2005, you wrote:
>

> >Hi all-
> >
> >Thinking (dreaming?) about the announced Broadway Limited CZ cars.
> >Since the wife would never let me get them all, I need to select a
> >set of cars for the late 1960's. Preferrably 1969.
> >
> >To help me choose, would any one have a consist list for this era?
> >went through the archives and pulled up some from the mid
50's/early
> >60's but would like something closer to my era.
> >
> >TIA
> >Jeff Worones
> >Lake Stevens WA
> >

> >Yahoo! Groups Links

I was just reviewing some of the old posts and came across the
conversations concerning CZ consists.  The consist that Bob Webber
lists was unusual as it contained Silver Hyacinth and Silver Patio.
The 6-6-4 sleeper (non CZ pool sleeper) was being used as a dormitory
and the ex KCZ dome-
buffett coach was being operated as the Cable Car Room.  Why?
Because the sixth Cable Car Room car, Silver Roundup, was already out
of service due to a fire.  Therein lies the reason for the unusual
consist.  I have slides of two Number 18s with similar unusual
consists due to this situation.  One was taken between Kennedy Road
and Mill Road, just east of Bristol, IL, and either Silver Patio or
Garden is subbing in the consist for the missing Cable Car Room.
Those cars were easy to spot as they were "backwards" with the
vestibule on the forward end of the car.  In another shot taken at
the old Aurora depot, Silver Crescent is running backwards, coupled
behind the baggage car.  I suspect that this might have been due to
the out-of-service Silver Roundup and the Silver Crescent was being
used for dormitory and coach lounge space.

Homebuilt Northern

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Rcy2bD/UOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM