Re: [CBQ] Going to DCC...I think?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Going to DCC...I think?
From: "Simon Griffin" <SIMON_GRIF@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 08:43:09 -0600
Hi Jan

I switched to DCC about 2 years ago.

DCC decoders vary in price from basic one function (Headlight on/off) for
about $12.00 each to over $100 for sound decoders.  Good multi function
decoders go for about $20-25.  I have used the basic ones in my Athearn F
units and switchers, but soon found I wanted more functions in the GP's

As long as you can isolate the motor, you can theoretically DCC any.
However, some older open frame locos have motors with very high current
consumption and would smoke many of the decoders that are only able to deal
with 1.5 amps or less.  I have an old hobby town loco that just does not
make economic sence to do, as it has to be re-motored.

You can mix and match decoders from different vendors if they meet NMRA
standards.  I have Lenz, NCE and Digitrax decoders on my layout all running
under a Digitrax control system

Some locos are easy plug and play installations.  Others require some
soldering and rewiring.  The Atherns are the most compicated I have
attempted and there are several web sites with specifics on how to install
decoders in them.

Installation costs from peolpe like Bruce at litchfieldstation.com runs
about $50 per loco not including the decoder.  That is why I decided to try
basic Athearn installs using a cheap Lenz decoder myself!  So far no
problems.

Hope this helps

Simon
Troy, IL