Re: [CBQ] Cicero diesel facility

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Cicero diesel facility
From: "Ray Bedard" <tczephyr@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2005 09:56:38 -0800
Bcc:
Having lived in Berwyn, 2 blocks off the main line on East Ave, I was only a
couple blocks from the Cicero yards. As a kid back in the late 1950's, I
remember riding my bike over to the LaVergne Ave station (at the western
edge of the Cicero Yards) and watching the trains go by. A couple of times,
I ventured into the yards, under the IC overpass to watch the switching of
freight cars.

My dad would drive us down Ogden Ave and then turn in to a side street (may
have been 31st) to get closer to the round house and other buildings. I
remember seeing what was the last of steam and told my dad one time that
"that engine is an eight wheeler and is known as an 0-8-0". I must admit
that I was more interested in seeing the new Grey Backs and the first Red
Birds then trying to point out any other steam.

Oh, if only I had my mom's brownie camera when I made these visits.

Later on, in the mid to late 60's, I did shoot photos (33mm and super 8
movie film) in and around Berwyn, LaVergne and the Cicero Yards.

I often recall those good old days, but then the memories of the Jan 27 1967
snow storm comes back, especially at this time of year. I took some photos
at the Berwyn station (Oak Park Ave) a day or two after the storm to watch
the suburban service and freight trains roll through the snow. It's times
like this than I am glad to be in sunny California at this stage in my life.

Ray Bedard
San Jose CA

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Tcy2bD/SOnJAA/cosFAA/8ZCslB/TM