Re: [CBQ] Cicero diesel facility

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Cicero diesel facility
From: estaple10@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:28:41 EST
Cc: ESTAPLE10@aol.com
Brad...
As mgruber000 responded in a prior post, the shops are still there.  As it
happened, I was scanning an aerial photo of the area between Austin Blvd and
the
diesel shop which was taken March 3, 1968, for a project I was working on.
It shows it just west of the intersection of Ogden Ave at 31st St.  It was
interesting to try to determine which engines were in the terminal.  One of
them
appears to be an F?A, F?B, GP7, GP7, F?B, F?A lashup. One of the GP's was
blackbird, one redbird.

Speaking of what a difference time makes, when I was in college in 1956 we
wrote to the Q to ask for specifics regarding the white aluminum color in order
to paint some Globe/Athearn F units.  To our delight, the Q responded by
giving us an authorization to go to this diesel facility and pick up a quart of
the
actual paint.  After disolvinging two of the shells, we learned how to spray
very quick, light coats of the prototype paint.  The paint jobs were a bit on
the crude side, but no one can argue that they aren't the correct shade.

.............Ed Stapleton