Re: [CBQ] Re: Holdrege roundhouse

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Holdrege roundhouse
From: "Bob Yarger" <ryarger@rypn.org>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 11:06:56 -0500
When I spoke with the owner a few years ago, he had just sold his fertilizer
business to one of the big conglomerates.  He also owned the Holdrege depot
at the time and was in the process of restoring it (since completed, though
not fully authentic).  He said he hoped to do something with the roundhouse
as well, and had even been approached by the new shortline there to possibly
use it as a roundhouse again for their engines.  He stated that due to
deteriorating mortar in the bricks, he had the outside coated with that
modern fiberglass reinforced stucco material.  This might be difficult to
remove in a restoration, but probably not impossible.  I think the turntable
was just a shade over 69 feet long.

Bob Yarger, Editor
Railway Preservation News (free website)
www.rypn.org