RE: [CBQ] How were business cars used?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [CBQ] How were business cars used?
From: "John Lewis" <CBQJohn@msn.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 10:33:49 -0600
Bcc:
Rick,

The following story was related to me by the late Wayne Beever, longtime
agent/operator here in Palmyra Missouri.

In the mid fifties, he was filling the operator's position in Clarence,
Missouri.  An eastbound passenger train stopped with Mr. Murphy's office car
(Wayne thought it was the Burlington, but couldn't swear to it) bringing up
the markers.  As Wayne stood on the platform, Mr. Murphy stepped down and
approached Wayne.

Wayne thought he was in some sort of trouble ... Mr. Murphy simply said "How
do you like working for the Burlington?"  Wayne said all he could say was
"just fine!".  He said Murphy grinned, slapped him on the shoulder and
returned to his car.

If you can find it (it is not in stock at the BRHS company store),
Burlington Bulletin #17 - The Office Cars - gives valuable insight on office
car operations on the Q (I found my copy on Ebay a couple of years ago).

Regards from Palmyra,

John Lewis