[CBQ] re: placement of business cars

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: placement of business cars
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 05:40:26 -0000

First, I can speak to a run in the early 60's when my Uncle Ed Smith
boarded then Pres. Harry Murphy's car @ Aurora enroute to Chicago 1st
thing in the morning; it was at the very end of the train (which
train I will have to ask him as that I don't recall). It is one of my
Uncle's favorite stories; at the time he was a TM before reverting to
his job as night General Yd Master @ Clyde (too much travel as a TM
to suit his family).  Anyway Pres. Murphy called him out by name when
he stepped on the platform to stretch his legs: "hey Smitty, ride in
with me".  And once he got aboard Murphy told him that if he hadn't
had breakfast just tell the steward what he wanted.  Q employees of
that era were always proud of the fact that Pres. Murphy knew so many
by 1st name regardless of their position or whether he had even met
them more than once.  On a second occaision, told me by a mechanical
supervisor @ Galesburg, Ralph Budd's car came in on the end of a
train during WWII in the middle of the night. He too wanted to
stretch his legs but their assist step was missing, he asked the then
rookie carman to find one; not an easy task with all the trains being
run during the War so he ended up with a crate or some other box to
allow Pres. Budd to step down (the train was so long the last car,
the Business car, was beyond the platform). I know there are people
on list who may have consists showing location; also there are photos
out there I'm sure too.  Gerald

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM