Re: [CBQ] Last Q steam to operate

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Last Q steam to operate
From: leo mccauley <leo_mccauley2001@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:13:27 -0800 (PST)

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?10,834523

> It has some consistency problems, probably due to
> typos, but I'm wondering
> what was the last actual revenue freight or
> switching operation of steam on
> the Q proper, excluding the C&S and FW&D.  The last
> three 01a Mikados as
> mentioned in the thread in January 1959?  Where was
> this, at Galesburg?
> What was the last operation on the west end?  I'm
> presuming Lincoln in 1957
> or '58.
>
> Bob Yarger, Editor
> Railway Preservation News (free website)
> www.rypn.org
>

> Mr. Yarger, the info, that I have is on the 4978,
which is on display at Mendota, Il. from what I am
told the 4978 was used in southern Il. hauling coal in
1959, and in Colorado on the C.S. hauling sugar beets
in "60".
 In about 1963, the 4978 was purchased at Galesburg,
and steamed under it's own power to Ottawa, Il.
 Hope this is some help.
Leo McCauley
McNabb, Il.

http://mail.yahoo.com