[CBQ] Re: CB&Q main across Iowa

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q main across Iowa
From: "pcv333" <pcv333@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 21:12:25 -0000

     I can't speak for the 1960's era because that was before my
time. I did, however, follow with family members the ex CB&Q
mainline across the southern tier of Iowa in May 1982 and again in
May 1983 driving on US Hwy 34. In fact to be more specific, the
Galesburg, IL- Pacific Jct, IA segment. As I recall the ex CB&Q
mainline is double tracked only as far west as Mt. Pleasant, Iowa.
To be honest, I could be wrong as I can't verify 100% if my memory
is correct. I also rode the ex CB&Q mainline between Omaha and
Galesburg round trip on Amtrak in November 1985, June 1987, July
1990, and April 1991.

     I would like to make this comment about BNSF's exCB&Q mainline
across the southern tier of Iowa: Take away coal trains, both loaded
and empty, I'm convinced BNSF could get by with single track all the
way from Galesburg, Il (50 miles east of the Mississippi River and
Burlington, IA for those on this list not familiar with CB&Q in
Iowa) to Lincoln, NE (roughly 60 miles west of the Missouri River).
I will acknowledge there's a lot of stretches of US Hwy 34 between
Galesburg and Pacific Jct, IA that don't follow the ex CB&Q Iowa
mainline closely and in some cases not at all. If I can't help you
answer your question, hopefully someone will make a posting that
will. I'm simply contributing my knowledge about the present status
of BNSF's exCB&Q mainline across Iowa.

                                         Patrick Vana/Omaha, NE

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM