[CBQ] CB&Q main across Iowa

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] CB&Q main across Iowa
From: VerMontanan@aol.com
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:22:15 EST
The following statement was made on the MILW list with regard to railroads
between Chicago and Omaha:

"In the 60s, CNW had an all-double-track RR (until Heineman pulled it
up the Denison - Mo Valley segment in 1965). Milw, IC and CGW were
single track. RI was double track only east of West Liberty. The CBQ
was mostly single track west of Galesburg."

Since I don't have any CB&Q timetables from this era, I can't prove for sure
that the CB&Q across Iowa was double track (or nearly so), but I was always
under the impression this was the case, and indeed, just by looking at the
volume of passenger traffic back in the 1960s this would almost have to be the
case.  Currently, the ex-CB&Q BNSF line is nearly all two main tracks or double
track across Iowa except for intermittently so west of Creston.  I've never
read
where BN added capacity (another main) for the coal boom, so I'm relatively
certain this double track was in place in the 1960s.  Can anyone verify?
Thanks.

--Mark Meyer

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM