Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Run Through Operations 1960's Era

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Run Through Operations 1960's Era
From: Bill Hirt <whirt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 10:21:58 -0600
pcv333 wrote:

>     I'm doing research on run through operations on Omaha area railroads
>during the 1960's-1970's era. One of these railroads, of course, is CB&Q.

Al Holck's Burlington Route Color Pictorial Volume 2 (from Four Ways
West) has several pages of pictures and captions regarding run-through
operations.. According to one of the captions, the Q and NYC began
pooling power between Elkhart, Indiana, and Galesburg on train NYQ. in
1966. It states that NYC power could be found later in St Paul and
Denver. The picture which is captioned has 4 NYC U-boats at Denver. The
pools were terminated in November 1968 with the PC. If you search the
archives of this message board, I recall there was discussion about the
PC run through (it seemed the PC try to save money by not filling the
fuel tanks). PC/PRR power made it to Denver. He also had a picture of a
Q GP20 in 1970 setting in EL yard in Buffalo, NY.  The book also says
the Q and D&RGW from late spring 1965 to summer 1966 operated a
Chicago-Salt Lake City pool. Each railroad operated in solid sets. It
was discontinued because the Q units lost power and overheated on the
D&RGW. The Q units did not have radiator spray cooling systems that Rio
Grande units had.

Bill Hirt

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM