[CBQ] Re: open hoppers

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: open hoppers
From: "thommack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:08:07 -0000

I have models from all manufacturers.

HT-10 - Stewart made the HT-10's in both Chinese and Mineral Red.
They came in six packs. There were two six-packs in Mineral Red and
one in Chinese Red. I have all 18 cars. I still frequently run
across complete six packs or separate cars at hobby shops or train
shows.

HT-11 - Walthers mde very nice HT-10 100 ton quad hoppers. These are
painted black. They made a single car numbered 160417. These are
VERY hard to find from my experience. I have only seen three of them
for sale, all at MB Klien in Baltimore last year, and I bought all
three. Walthers released a six pack for sugar beet service. There
was a thread some time back that inidcated they were probably never
used for sugar beet service. They were too new and the highest
capacity coal hoppers on the Q. I use them for coal service - just
remove the "Sugar Beet Service" stencils with some Solvaset. Allow
it to set about 3-5 minutes and the lettering comes right
off,leaving the paint beneath untouched.

HT-13 - The previous post indicated that the Walthers cars were HT-
13's, but they are not lettered as such. The HT-13s were in the
161xxx series, built January and February 1969, and delivered with
the pre-merger Helvetica font BURLINGTON. The Walthers cars are in
the HT-11 160xxx series with the standard block "Burlington". The HT-
13s were also 3,483 cu ft capacity compared to 3,209 cu ft for the
HT-11s. The HT-13 has higher sides than the HT-11, although that is
very hard to tell in pictures (see Spoor's Color Guide to Freight
Cars, page 80). The Walthers car is lettered as an HT-11 and looks
dead on.

Bethgon - Walthers does make a Bethgon car, but a Bethgon is
actually not a hopper but a late model high capacity gondola. It has
no bottom discharge chutes. They have rotary couplers for use in a
rotary dumper at the power plant. The closest thing to Bethgon's
found regularly on the Q would be the Thrall-built rotary-dump high
side coal gons owned by Wisconsin Electric and used beginning in
1968 in unit train service between Old Ben No. 26 mine and a power
plant in Oak Creek, Wisconsin. They were dark green. See p. 147 and
p. 98 of BB 35 on Q in the coalfields. MDC/Roundhouse makes (made?)
a Thrall 50' high side gondola lettered for Wisconsin Electric.
Although listed in the 2003 Walthers catalog, I can't find them
listed on the Walthers website anymore. I think Walthers also may
have made Thrall gondolas at one time.

BTW, speaking of coal hauling, the new MDC/Roundhouse EMD Model 40
industrial switcher is being released lettered for Old Ben Coal (MDC
#113)! Only 11 of these switchers were built, and although I can't
find a roster

Tom Mack

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, Ken Martin <kmartin@c...> wrote:
> Clark,
>
> you don't mention what type hopper you are looking for, the Q had
two
> bay, three bay and four bay hoppers in several classes.
>
> HT-1-4 - no model is readily available that I am aware of.
> HT - 5 - The Athern hopper is dimensionally close but needs to be
>           modified, the horizontal seam needs to be scribed,
adding the
>          triangular gusset/eye and replacing the left ladder with a
>           horizontal bar(Grandt plastic rod). The accurail car is a
>           USRA design and too small for the HT-5 they are correct
for the
>           C&S.
> HT-6    - An experimental design, only a couple made
> HT - 7  - an unusual design based on HT-5, top side sheet steel,
bottom
>           half of side outside braced wood. Can be kitbashed from
Athern
> HT - 8  - Outside braced wood, Proto war emergency hopper or Athern
>            composite hopper are close.
> HT - 10 - 70 ton offset sides triple bottom (blt '48-'61) Stewart,
MDC
>             & Ulrich(if found) are close
>             In '66-'68   some cars were rebuilt with outside
bracing.
>             MDC OB close, remove rivets (welded)
> HT - 13       - 100 ton, outside braced, quad hopper built by
Bethelem (1963)

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Q7_YsB/neXJAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM