Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Dynamometer Car

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Dynamometer Car
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 20:25:49 -0600
John-
Yes, the Walthers car has trucks that are as close as you're going to get
short of buying a brass waycar.....Walthers used the UP "Q" truck which is
close but has a slightly
different pedestal casting and the tie strap at the bottom is not straight
like the No.7 truck.
Not sure how the car was painted.  When it was built it may have been
natural wood color with varnish.  The Burlington Bulletin #24 says it was
painted yellow with black lettering.  Later it was probably painted Pullman
Green, then standard waycar mineral red.  The car was reassigned to work car
service in November 1929.
The BB #24 is available from the BRHS.  I believe you can go to the website
to get the details for ordering back issues.
Charlie Vlk

> Charlie -
> I picked up the model today and have a few more questions on it.   It is
an Ambroid "one of five thousand" collector's item.   The instructions are
very minimal and show only how to construct the wood car and detail
castings.   It doesn't even tell what kind of trucks to use or show any
photos.   You mention standard #7 waycar trucks.   Are these the woodbeam
caboose trucks such as Walthers has in their new 30' 4-window caboose
(waycar)?

> Also, the instructions do not cover painting or lettering, but I assume
the car was painted Pullman green and lettered in gold similar to
heavyweight passenger cars.   Would this have been correct for the late
1930s to late 1940s?   BB#24, which I do not have, apparently covered much
of this information.   Any ideas how I could get a copy of this BB now?
Thanks for all your help.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM