[CBQ] Re: CB&Q/Deadwood Central Pictures?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q/Deadwood Central Pictures?
From: "P.E. Pearson" <pepearson@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:32:52 -0000

DC,

Eureka!  Someone else modeling the Hills--and narrow gauge no
less?!  ;)

I posted on here a few days ago--I'm in the process of acquiring
reference material for a eventual model of the CB&Q High Line from
Edgemont north to Englwood and the Deadwood/Lead area, including the
branch line to Spearfish. I also want to recreate the interchange at
Mystic with the Rapid City, Black Hills and Western.

I am going to try to include as much of the NG and dual gauge
trackage in the Deadwood/Pluma/Kirk area as possible, but think I
might not have enough real estate to do those operations justice.
But to include the BH&FP from Englwood to Lead and the DC from Lead
to Pluma would be fantastic.

Here are the materials I have in my library or am in the process of
acquiring:

"A High Line Scrapbook" by Greg Walters and Rick Mills. This book
has a number of picts/maps of Englewood and Deadwood/Lead. Great
book.
"North Western Rails" by Rick Mills. This is subtitled "A Pictorial
Essay of the CNW's Western Divisions 1868-1988"
"125 years of Black Hills Railroads" by Rick Mills.  I'm asking
Santa for this one.....
"Railroads of the Black Hills" Mildred Fiedler. In the process of
acquiring this book.  It comes highly recommended from a number of
individuals.

Plus, I have found the North Western Lines publication from the CNW
Historical Society to be loaded with info.  Spring, Fall and Winter
1997 issues all cover the Black Hills and the NG operations. The
Spring 97 issue focuses on the CNW's Black Hills NG.  Loads of picts
of the Deadwood/Lead area, Blacktail Jct, Deadwood Gulch (which I
would love to include on my layout as well!;)).

In addition, I am ordering the issues #34 and #41 of the Bulletin
from the Burlington Route Historical Society.  Issue 34 is the Black
Hills Issue and 41 covers CBQ #537, the Burlington's best known NG 2-
8-0, with info on other Black Hills NG locomotives.

I would also suggest the blackhillsrr group in YahooGroups. Might be
someone on there who could be of help as well.

Hope this helps.  Look forward to hearing how your layout is shaping
up!

Paul Pearson
Denver, Co

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM