[CBQ] Re: waycar roofs

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: waycar roofs
From: "qmp211" <milepost206@mchsi.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 19:40:44 -0000

Hi Archie,

Canvas and a rolled on coating that is a tar-like material lighter in
viscosity than roofing tar, like a thick paint. It was used instead of
tar paper because it provided better protection and left no holes for
water to seep in and rot the roof. Maybe a predecessor to today's tar
roofing paper since I've seen buildings and homes with similar roof
coatings(maybe old railroaders lived in 'em).

Could be a home road variation but SOP for it's time. Pictures show
the canvas was stretched over the wood longitudinal roof slats and the
coating applied. It was smooth at first. Recoats and patches built it
up to a thicker coating.

Pictures also show what appears to be a canvas-like material or heavy
duck material.

I believe it was canvas duck since the material aged to a gray color
and is clearly visible as uncoated cloth with a weave pattern similar
to canvas duck type material.

This dates back, from what I can tell, to the beginning. There will be
photos that show it ripped and flying in the breeze in the Waycars
book.

Hope it helps.

Randy Danniel

 --- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "archieh1946" <kliner@s...> wrote:

> Group,  Just wondering if anyone has information on the composition
> of the roofing material on the old wooden waycars.  I recently
> reroofed my waycar with roll roofing which I have used since 1978
> when I purchased the car at Hannibal.  This is a task that I dread
> every 5 years or so.  When I tore off the roof in 1978 I remember
it
> being some type of fiber material like a heavy canvas.  There are
> remnants of this roofing still under some copper flashing that I
> noticed while reroofing and was just curious about it's makeup.
Also

http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM