[CBQ] Re: locomotive cab roof color

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: locomotive cab roof color
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:27:38 -0800
Dale -

Red lead (nasty stuff, no doubt, but an effective anti-corrosive applied to
steam locomotives' cab roofs) ranged in color from reddish-orange when new
and clean, through darker reds, purples, and into black when old and sooty.
So far as I can tell, all the better importers today (e.g., CIL) paint
their engines to look like they've just been shopped. So whether and how
you (re)paint it will depend on how much service your particular engine has
seen recently and when it was last shopped. If you want to darken the roof
(certainly valid), you'll probably also want to add a certain amount of
other weathering to your model.

You might try overspraying the roof with a thin mist of grimy black or
equivalent, perhaps mixed with some other shades to darken it and change
the hue. But since it's an expensive model, you probably should do a little
experimenting first. Try to replicate the red-orange color on a piece of
scrap (several pieces of scrap), maybe using something like zinc chromate
primer; let it cure completely (about 2 weeks), then experiment with
different oversprays.

(NB: the colors I'm  referring to here are all Floquil solvent-based
paints, 'cause that's what I'm familiar with; if you're more comfortable
with other paints, modify these suggestions accordingly).

Good luck,
Jonathan

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM