Re: [CBQ] Anything Q left in Lincoln?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Anything Q left in Lincoln?
From: robert runty <brjr51@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 20:06:07 -0700 (PDT)
The Roca depot is also at the fairgrounds by the University. A couple depots
west on the Denver line, Friend and Fairmount come to mind. There was/is a nice
depot also in Crete but I heard it was slated to be torn down. Don't know if
it's still there. Also a depot at Ashland and the one at Beatrice along with a
wooden waycar. One of the yard towers was still there south of the depot a
couple years ago but don't know if it's still there. I'll also be there in a
coule weeks and plan on trying to catch the Columbus local out of Lincoln. I
believe they leave Lincoln about 7:30 AM. The line to Columbus from what I
hear( my best friend is an engineer out of Lincoln) is on its last legs and is
the last line with the old concrete cross bucks.Columbus and the old line to
Wymore,which now ends in Beatrice, are the last remaining remnants of the
extensive network of branches the Q had in eastern Nebraska.

                   Bob Runty

John Lewis <CBQJohn@msn.com> wrote:
Jeff,

Was just there a couple of weeks ago ... on display at the Q depot is steamer
#710, a K-4 class 4-6-0.  It received a cosmetic touch up a few years back and
looks GOOD!  Probably the best stuff & mounted Q steam engine that I have seen.
 Drop me a line at cbqjohn@msn.com<mailto:cbqjohn@msn.com> and I'll send you a
jpeg of it with Amtrak's California Zephyr in the background.

There are boxcars from the predecessor roads on display along with a waycar.
The depot looks pretty good from the outside, but I didn't get a chance to go
in.

There is an NE-12 about a half block from the depot, tucked back in an alley.
Only the cupola end is visible, very hard to photograph.

Saw a BN lettered Jordan Spreader not far from the depot, that is about the
extent of my Lincoln experience.

Regards,

John Lewis