[CBQ] Details for modeling different Q areas

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Details for modeling different Q areas
From: "gaedgar66" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 01:24:52 -0000
Depending on where you grew up (those of us old enough to remember
the Q pre-1970) there were 'things' one always noted along the routes
you followed.  In my case it was frequent trips by car as a kid from
Dubuque to LaCrosse.  The hwy followed the Q from Prairie du Chien to
LaX so in addition to flashing silver Zephyrs (sometimes of course 2-
tone green NCL's or orange/green "builders) there were the other
things that made it the 50's or 60's along the Q.  In this area one
would see sides of barns painted "Insist on Bowes Sealfast Tire
Repair" (my Dad always commented that if you had a tube tire that
needed repairing you probably wouldn't be too choosy as to brand of
tire patch!).  The other common barn sign ad was for Kingsbury Beer.
Passing semis were often Glendennings (out of Twin Cities - my Dad
commented that back in the 30's they were among the 1st truck lines
to have painted trailers - a flying geese pattern).  Glendenning bit
the dust 15 or 20 yrs ago.  There were also H&W semis from Dubuque
(their trucks in the modern scheme were/are available in HO along
with decals I believe but Gateway closed last yr).  And most
importantly there were Burma Shave signs (also available in multiple
scales).  Burma Shave signs once covered much of the country but were
most common in the midwest due to hdq being in Minnesota). And
alongside the road the barriers for steep dropoffs (above the Q's
ROW) were the common black/white rounded-top posts holding cables to
catch errant motorists (easily modeled with dowels). A unique feature
I'm sure not found on any other Q division were tobacco barns &
warehouses as some was & is grown in the Kickapoo River valley (a
strong tasting variety used for cigars I'm told). Lastly the Q itself
had a unique feature on the LaCrosse Div - falling rock fences.
these were cables forming a grid along steep drop offs that would set
off a signal if large rocks fell on or thru them - 1 or 2
sets still exist today on BN (immediately N of Cassville is one).
Anyone ever model these?  They stretched from concrete posts cast @
Aurora Shops (just as were the Q's MP and other concrete trackside
posts).
Perhaps other mbrs of the group can cite similar details that would
tell a layout visitor "this is Alliance" or "this is Beardstown"
territory even when there is no passing train to better I.D. which
portion of the Q one is modeling.  Just a thought!   Gerald

http://us.click.yahoo.com/Z1wmxD/DREIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM