Re: [CBQ] Re: Budd SS cladding

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Budd SS cladding
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 19:45:03 +1200
Denny

The Round Up was "converted" at Aurora in 1953, and there are plenty of
construction photos in Bulletins 14, 26 and 33 of the Hudson(s) being
"converted" at West Burlington, but I can find no reference to the supplier
of the stainless steel.  The closest is a comment that the stainless steel
"would match the Budd-built trains this locomotive would pull". The design
work for the conversion was "undertaken by the mechanical engineers in
Chicago", so it was an in-house job, and the attachment of the panels to the
framework was achieved with self-tapping screws rather than Budd's patented
Shotwelding process.

These comments seem to suggest that Budd was not really involved in the
process.  Other suppliers were specifically mentioned in the articles, and
there is ample opportunity in the articles for the authors - Hol and Dave
Lotz - to refer to Budd's involvement if it had been significant.

Conversely, would the staff at West Burlington in 1936-7 have the necessary
skills of working in stainless steel to have formed and fabricated the
panels, or would these have been ordered in along with all the other
modernisation parts? (Other engineering work was done prior to work on the
shroud, such as a Boxpok main drivers, lightweight pistons, rods and valve
gear, and roller bearings.)  In which case, Budd would have been a logical
choice for supplier.

Rupert