[CBQ] Re: CB&Q 3003 Restoration

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q 3003 Restoration
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:36:41 -0500
Dave,

If Mr. Engebretson is interested in returning the #3003 to operation,
he ought to contact some steam experts for assessment help, such as the
group that rebuilt and operate Milwaukee Road #261. IIRC, they assessed
one of the Q hudsons (4000?) before choosing to rebuild #261.
Rebuilding a steam locomotive to working order is no small task. As
Doyle McCormick (SP 4449 fame) was once quoted and I don't have the
exact wording, "The worst thing for a steam locomotive is to run it;
the second worst is to let it stand still!" No. 3003 has not run under
her own power for 47 years (1957) (Wow, has it been that long since I
last saw her run!) I would certainly love to see a Q hudson working
once more. I wish I lived closer and could lend a hand. My best wishes
for success to Mr. Engebretson and those who assist him.

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM