[CBQ] Re: Review of 3rd Rail CB&Q Hudson Offering in O-Scale

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Review of 3rd Rail CB&Q Hudson Offering in O-Scale
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 10:11:44 -0500
Yes, and 4001 didn't have its air compressors on the pilot deck either.
On June 30, I wrote Scott Mann the following letter, but have not had a
response from him. His recent 5614 model incorporated serious several
errors. Hopefully, he does some more investigation before he goes into
production. Doing it right can't cost any more than doing it wrong.
And, with BRHS Bulletin #33 as a reference, he has all the info he
should need. I am not sure why he choose to do the hudson since PSC did
the same locomotive last year, albeit at a much higher price. An O-1a
would have been a nice alternative.

"Dear Mr. Mann,

I just received my copy of issue #15 of O Scale Trains Magazine and was
pleased to see your ad announcing production of a CB&Q S-4 in O scale.
I will probably order one of the #3007 versions through Caboose Stop
Hobbies. In reading the text of your ad, I do hope you do some more
research before you produce the models as I see at least two errors as
written. First, #4000, on display at La Crosse, WI. is not now nor ever
was an oil burner. It was once one of the two streamlined hudsons on
the Q. The oil burners were nos. 4002 and 4003 (formerly 3009 and 3008
respectively). Since they were "Lines west" assigned locomotives and
generally worked out of Lincoln, NE. after being converted to oil,
they were never fitted with Mars lights or cab signal (the box on the
boiler is not train control, Q only had two steam locomotives equipped
with ATC and those were 2-6-2 prairies that occasionally switched on
the C&NW which did have ATC). These two were not converted to oil until
early 1951.

The second discrepancy involves #4001. It did not have its air
compressors mounted up front behind the pilot shield. The air
compressors were mounted on either side of the boiler, under the
running boards and immediately in front of the firebox. The device
behind the simple pilot deck shield was the hot water pump for the
Worthington feedwater heater. No. 4001 was the only Q hudson equipped
with a Worthington feedwater heater. All the rest had the bundle type
Elesco immediately in front of the stack. By the way, the shield should
be a simple flat panel with short sides slightly angled back and a flat
top over the pump. There is a small access door on the front panel.
 From a three quarters or side view, one should be able to see the hot
water pump and its associated piping, leading up to the rectangular
shaped heater at the top of the smokebox. There is a tremendous amount
of information about all of the Q hudsons in the Burlington Route
Historical Society Bulletin #33. It is still available from the Society
for the bargain price of $16.00. It is very complete.

By the way, because of the all weather cab, the front of no. 4001's
tender is completely different that the other hudsons. Like no. 4000,
no. 4001 was also streamlined for a brief two year period. It did not
receive a Mars light until very late in its career, possibly during its
last shopping. It was among the last three Q steam locomotives to
receive heavy repairs at the Denver shop before it closed in 1955.
Ironically, no. 4001 never ran again, so it may never have operated
with the Mars light. It appears that it also did not have cab signals
and, being assigned to Lincoln, NE in it's last days, that would make
sense. It was also the only Hudson equipped with Boxpok drivers in all
three positions. However, during a shopping after Nov. 1945, it traded
its rear driver with one from no. 4004 and after that time, each
locomotive operated with two Boxpok drivers and one normal spoked
driver; the 4001's in the front two positions and the 4004 in the rear
two positions. All of the hudsons were equipped with Boxpok drivers in
the center position during the late 1930s when roller bearing rods were
installed. The 4000 - 4004 all had Alco roller bearing rods with the
larger hubs while all the remaining 3000 series locomotives had Baldwin
roller bearing rods that looked similar to the original rods with
grease fittings.

Sorry for the long e-mail. However, the Q hudsons were my favorite of
all steam locomotives. I'd like to see you get them as right as
reasonably possible. One more "by the way", I don't recall ever seeing
a working Q hudson with anything but gold lettering on both the
locomotive and the tender including the large herald. There should be
no rivet detail under the herald. They used flat headed countersunk
rivets in that location. PSC tried to accomplish this on their much
more expensive model delivered last year, but the herald didn't quite
match the size of the non rivet area. I don't know which was wrong
because I have been unable to determine the actual correct size of the
herald. As a matter of information, five, not four Q hudsons still
exist. They are No. 3001 at Ottumwa, IA, No. 3003 at Burlington, IA,
no. 3006 at Galesburg, IL, no. 3007 at the Ill. Railway Museum and no.
4000 at La Crosse, WI. Five out of a fleet of 14 isn't bad!

If I can offer any other assistance on this project, please let me know.

Respectfully yours,

Bill Barber

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM