Re: [CBQ] BRHS meets

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] BRHS meets
From: "Paul K." <kozys@insightbb.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 23:17:41 -0500
At 04:45 AM 6/23/2004, you wrote:
>Tks for your thoughts Paul.  In no particular order: regardless of
>where/when you model the Q (unless strictly doing a terminal like the
>Zephyr Pit & even there you would find foreign power), IF you wish to
>be accurate, one needs to know what interchange was done along the
>way, what foreign & private marks showed up most often in trains,
>etc. In my case, E. Dbq to LaCrosse, the Q took delivery of bananas
>from the I.C. in E. Dbq (there even was a little shack NE of the
>depot for banana messenger use), taking them to LaX & Twin Cities.
>The Q used IC trackage rights (& CGW used the Q south of E. Dbq) and
>Milw trains came unto the Q & vice-a-versa depending on derailments
>or high water further north.  Thus as much a dyed-in-the-wool Q fan
>as I am (after all I founded the whole thing as CB&Q His. Soc. summer
>of "76), I need to know about other RR's to model the Q correctly,
>not to mention GN/NP passenger trains!  You may recall my postings
>last Dec and earlier where I summarized consists of frt trains on the
>Q thru Ottumwa and E. Dbq so that modelers could better match the
>prototype...

<snip>

````````
Gerald,

Again thanks for your patient and explanatory response.  Much appreciated and
informative.

Lest any feel I am bashing the "system" or crying about how the meets may not,
uh, meet MY personal expectations, (well maybe a tiny bit, but we all do that
to some extent), I would refer you back to my original question on the thread
which just simply asked:

"Has anyone besides me had the thought that these joint meets with other
societies waters down the Burlington content? Just wondering."

It's basically a yes or no question...but it was a legitimate concern I've had
the past couple years so I wanted to just throw it out there and see what
others think.  No flames intended.  I certainly appreciate all Gerald, Rich,
Dave, and now I'm getting into the forgetting to mention someone trap, have
done for the society for so many years.  OTOH, if I perceive something as "not
right", I many times feel compelled to bring it up to clear the air, get my
"mind right", possibly point out a problem or something that just doesn't seem
appropriate, etc.  No flames, trolling or bashing intended, believe me.  If I
was seriously disatisfied, I just wouldn't be here any more.  'Nuff said.

Gerald, I was wondering if sometime in the future I could email you personally,
off-list with some possible questions on the IC in the E. Dubuque area?  I have
a friend locally who is an IC modeler who's layout terminates in that area, and
he may have some questions as not very long ago he was asking me something
about CB&Q in that locale, interchanging, etc. with the IC.

Regards,

Paul (Kossart) - "The CB&Q Guy"
Peru, IL  *USA*
Modeling 1960's in HO.