[CBQ] Buda Hill grade question...

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Buda Hill grade question...
From: atsf3460@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:33:46 EDT
Monday I was out railfanning just east of Buda and watched a loaded coal
train on the big curve just east of town.  The train seemed to be making a
weird
sound and I realized he was in dynamics ... then it clicked that he was going
down Buda Hill!  I doubt if I'd ever seen a loaded coal at the spot heading
east so I don't think I've ever heard a train use dynamics in that location.
Anyway, is Buda Hill the ruling grade from Aurora to Galesburg or Burlington?
Just how steep is it?  I assume trains pre-diesel may have occasionally stalled
but was it a true operational headache?

Mike Martin / Peoria Heights, IL

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM