Re: [CBQ] Buda Hill grade question...

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Buda Hill grade question...
From: "East Pass" <EastPass@19main.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 15:34:21 -0500
Mike,

Buda Hill is the ruling grade between Montgomery and Galesburg.
Starts at MP 112.5 with the crest at about MP 116.5. The grade
varies but would probably average out to around .8%. I would
say it's operational significance lasted through the 60's.

In the current context of power planning there is really no
allowance for grades of less than about 1.5%. This is just
fine if you have good rail conditions but in rain or snow the
system breaks down. This is a problem that can be lived with
and pushers are assigned when needed, where needed. Since Buda
Hill is Westbound there are very seldom any trains that would
be overtaxed at that point although the new shuttle elevator
East of Mendota does have to be considered.

One night last week I had a 17,800 ton train make it the 40
some miles from Utica NE to Lincoln with only one unit, a
SD70MAC. Would have needed two for Buda Hill but was not going
that way or in that direction.

Russ