[CBQ] Marshall's doodlebug

To: <CBQ@YahooGroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Marshall's doodlebug
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 15:06:41 +1200
Back in November 1999, Marshall forwarded the following to the List

"A request for help from all you fine (and hopefully knowledgeable) folk. With
four hours to wait in Fort Madison before the Southwest Chief would take me
back to KC, I decided that a convivial bar & grill would be preferable to the
AmShack in Shopton. I wound up at Vinnie's Santa Fe Tap, 2601 Avenue L and
since I soon joined in the railroad talk, I was informed by the proprietor that
he had part of a doodlebug behind the bar. Yeah, right, but he *did*!
Unmistakable St. Louis Car construction, oft-repainted 'BURLINGTON' centered
above the passenger windows, even the original wooden 2-horizontal-sash
vestibule doors and the inverted 'L' roof ventilators (although these had been
sealed). It appeared to have been torched off just behind the baggage
partition, and had a total of nine windows not including the restroom space
(which was blanked off on the right side . . . the left side was inaccessible).
Apparently, the car had been acquired and cut down for use as a diner in Ft.
Madison for many years before winding up behind the bar . . . so: Do any of you
gurus have a clue as to which car it may have been? "

This enquiry generated considerable research and correspondence, the final
guess coming from Ken Martin that this was the remains of trailer 3661 or 3665
(ex 9851 or 9852).

During my recent grand tour of Illinois, I found Vinnie's and the half
doodlebug is still there behind the main building.  It has been repainted brown
and white, but the remains of the word "Burlington" can still be seen above the
windows on the side adjacent to Vinnie's. I've scanned a couple of photos to
the Photos section (labelled Half Doodlebug 1 & 2) in case there are still any
doubters.

Rupert

http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM