Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2042

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Digest Number 2042
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 09:00:27 -0500
Matt,

Thanks for the update photos. The old girl looks pretty nice. Glad to
see that they made the effort to put the boiler jacket back on. Many of
the display locomotives don't have it (including two of the other three
Q hudsons on outdoor display) and they look "naked" without them. Hope
they plan to reapply a version of graphite on the smoke box. It appears
that the firebox is already done.

As for the rods, since #4000  spent much of her time assigned as a
"Lines East" locomotive, black painted rods are appropriate. Only
"Lines West" polished rods. I guess the eastern end of the RR didn't
have time. The paint, however, made it more difficult to inspect for
cracks as, I believe, the paint had to be removed for such purposes
during the annual inspections as required by the ICC. In any case,
except for locomotives that just came from a western assignment, all
photos that I have seen and the locomotives that I saw in the late
steam era, all had black painted rods if they were on the east end of
the RR.

Again, thanks for posting the photos. I would like to see some shots
after they have finished the job.

Bill Barber