[CBQ] Fw: [ObservationCar] Where do I work?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Fw: [ObservationCar] Where do I work?
From: okt@juno.com
Date: Sat, 1 May 2004 14:06:38 -0500
From: "blair kooistra" <wallcloud@mindspring.com>
To: <ObservationCar@yahoogroups.com>
James Humbert asked:
"
> I know this doesn't have a thing to do with the Deschutes River
> Canyon, but I have wanted to ask you this for some time. Which desk
> (s) do you normally work at "hitler's Redoubt" in Fawt Wauth? Do you
> work extra or do you have an assigned territory? Do you ever get a
> chance to work the East Hump, West Hump (Mpls.) or Hinckley Sub
> desks?"

I worked the beloved former Burlington Route between Lincoln, NE and
Brush,
Colorado. Damn good crews. Had a crew on an eastbound train whose pickup
was
on the west end of a yard track, and without any prompting from the
dispatcher grabbed the yard engine at the west end and tacked it onto the
rear of their train. No bitching and moaning. Just did it. These guys are
great. You'd NEVER see that kind of initiative on much of the rest of the
railroad.

The railroad is the former raceway of the Denver Zephyr (we must remember
that the California Zephyr made many stops on this route in the middle of
the night, essentially the "milk run" including switching out a mail
storage
car at McCook); even today, Amtrak zips right along at the authorized
79mph,
and nearly matches the 72-76mph averages between selected points from the
halcyon days of the Donald P. Steffe speed survey in TRAINS.
Unfortunately,
the rest of the railroad is a drag-freight operation with 40mph boxcar
drags, underpowered grain trains, short sidings etc. But we don't care
about
all that--my job on midnight trick is to make the best meet between
Amtrak 5
and 6 and let the freights fall where they may.

> By the way, who the hell is that character GJC who works second
> trick Hinckley Sub? Do me a favor, if you ever see him in the
> parking lot, please bitch-slap him a few times for me? I'll make it
> worth your while! Thanks!

I don't see the second-trickers much, and the Minnesota desk guys even
less.
My job before the McCook desk was the mighty mighty wooden-axle Willmar
job,
Minnesota side.  Good stories to tell about THAT fiasco.

regards,

B. E. Kooistra

Maybe I will finally get down to putting something together about Peru.
My Wife insists that have the material, get going, get the article done,
she
says! -- Dale Brown

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511