[CBQ] Mark Twain Zephyr

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Mark Twain Zephyr
From: "George C. Werner" <werner36@flash.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 21:35:22 -0500
The Mark Twain Zephyr spent a brief period in early 1938 on the
Burlington-Rock Island as a substitute for the Texas Rocket under the
following senario:

On 24 February 1938 the northbound Texas Rocket hit a loaded log truck near
Magnolia, Texas (yes, I know that the B-RI didn't go through Magnolia, but
that is the location cited in the newspaper accounts) which derailed TA #602
and also did cosmetic damage to the unit.  A short article appeared in the
Houston Chronicle on 27 February stated that effective the following day the
Mark Twain Zephyr would fill in for the Texas Rocket.  Subsequently the B-RI
placed large ads in the Chronicle, one of which stated that "We are pleased
to announce that the Mark Twain Zephyr has replaced the Texas Rocket
temporarily until repairs are completed and double daily mile-a-minute
service has been resumed."  Another large ad on 4 March 1938 also listed the
Mark Twain Zephyr running opposite the Sam Houston Zephyr.

I do not know the length of time the Mark Twain Zephyr operated between
Houston and Ft. Worth.

George C. Werner

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511