[CBQ] Re: Which direction did the domes run?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Which direction did the domes run?
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 11:02:05 -0500
On the #5631 fantrip to Savanna, IL and Galena in Sept. of 1957, a dome
coach was placed immediately behind the tender of the locomotive,
unlike most fantrip where a baggage car was placed behind the
locomotive. With the usual high pile of coal in the tender, a lump of
coal bounced across the top of the tank, onto the top of the dome coach
and collided with the center front window of the dome, shattering the
outer layer of glass. The glass appeared to be laminated as the broken
glass remained in place like an auto windshield. The inner glass was
unaffected. For those of us inside the dome, the event was quite
dramatic as we could see it coming. So, dome glass was vulnerable and
probably was broken on more than one occasion by some cause.

Bill Barber

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511