Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Signals Page

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Signals Page
From: "Mike Decker" <mdecker@gwtc.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 03:43:48 -0700
Hi Manfred:

The main reason that the signals display so many different aspecst is that
it can take a long time to change the speed of a train (unless you use
Emergency) and the Engineer needs to know a ways in advance what the
Dispatcher wants him to do, or that he's catching up to another train.  In
most cases, the speed through a turnout is considerably less than "track
speed", so you need to have some warning to slow down for it.  The "Approach
Medium" indication is a signal that gives you extra warning that you will be
slowing down for something ahead.  As a practical matter though, if you are
following another train, you can run track speed all day on "flashing
yellows" as long as you don't get into the "solid yellow" and actually have
to slow down to 30 mph.

Well....I'm called for 4:40A on a Vehicle (double stacks, piggybacks,,
autoracks...and sometimes airplanes) Train out of Edgemont to Gillette.  60
mph track speed, I hope the Santa Fe put enough motors on it :>)

Best,

Mike Decker