[CBQ] Re: F3'/7's what color were they?

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: F3'/7's what color were they?
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 21:59:10 -0800
Maybe I'm mis-reading Brad's question, but I thought perhaps he was
referring to say, the Genesis or Intermountain F3s painted in light gray
versus the older Stewart F3s painted silver. If that's in fact what you
meant, Brad, then the truth is, yes, there were both "silver" and "gray
white" paint schemes.

The vast majority of the Burlington's F units (FTs, F2s, F3s and F7s) were
painted in the gray-white body color. However, in 1947, the Q purchased
three A-B-A (or A-B-C, if you prefer) sets of F3s (Nos. 9960-9962) to power
the soon-to-be innaugurated California Zephyr. These were painted in the
Burlington's standard "silver" passenger scheme, like the E7s that had
preceded them. After the E8s and E9s arrived, these F units were
re-assigned to freight duty in 1955 (which required re-gearing their
motors). They were re-painted in the standard "grayback" scheme around
1958, but retained the older, silver passenger color for the first couple
years of freight service. Even after re-painting, though, they kept their
original passenger engine numbers, rather than being re-numbered in the
100-series like their sister F units.

So if you are thinking about purchasing some of these models, you'll want
to consider in what service you are going to use them, and when.

(Ken and Charlie are quite right, though: we would all really much rather
argue about whether "gray" is really gray or white or what.)

Jonathan