Re: [CBQ] Re: What we give our children

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: What we give our children
From: "Steven Holding" <s.holding@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 23:37:37 -0600
Stephen
I see why you like to ride trains.  I started with a trip to visit grandma
in England in 1960.  My cousins were the same age and we went train
spotting.  Going to the local division point in the front of the big red
double deck bus(upstairs of course).  Home was on the train in the neat
english carriages with drop sash windows.  And most of it was all STEAM.  We
did go to visit grandma and grandpa in Michigan they lived on the old LS&MS
on the train once.  Dad and I use to shoot movies(growing up in the '60's it
was movies not camcorders) of the Q fan trips an once shot some local
traffic down south of the stoveworks in Aurora.  A three car local
passenger.  Freight with F units, some of the cars and a black widow SP unit
headed east dead in train.  Engine 35 was on the rear and at least two
waycars.  Movies of the 1964 Aurora Cent. displays and the trip east with
5632 shot at Mc Lure Rd.
My passenger train riding was a RT to Denver and a narrow gauge
Honeymoon(had to start her out right) the next year was a return trip from
Florida on Auto Train.  Being an Dispatcher most of my more recent trips
have all been on the headend.  Kind of spoils the desire to ride the
coaches.
Last summer I went to a family reunion in Tenn. at my brother's.  He was not
around when Dad and I shot the movies. And one morning Dad now 84 myself and
brother went railfanning in the area.  Have to say it was the best part of
the trip.  Then in Sept. I took my bride of 30 years(our first trip was for
25th)back to Hawaii for our second trip where I worked 2 days at the
Hawaiian Railway Society and then a trip on the sugar cane train on Maui.
Was too late to catch the Grove Plantion engines on Kauai(they run the same
weekend as the HRS runs their parlor car((2nd weekend each month))).
Will be at IRM for a couple of days after the Oregon Meet this spring
sjh