[CBQ] Re: Photo identification ie: tlin@p...

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Photo identification ie: tlin@p...
From: "graywolfs2" <graywolfs2@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 01:41:50 -0000

I have looked at the book Gerald mentions and the photo on page 460
(ill. 272) can also be found in BRHS Bulletin #14 "Aeolus" page 19.
The credit for that particular photo is for DPLWHD which stands for
Denver Public Library Western History Department.
Gerald, You should be able to go to the Librarys' web site and order
a copy of that photo.
The site address I have is:

http://gowest.coalliance.org/presearch.html

Try that for starters and at least you now know where the photo is
available.

For your info....

Locomotive on the left is the Streamlined steam engine #4000 an S-4
class 4-6-4 Hudson named Aeolus. The engine on the right is one of
the early "shovel nose" diesel electric "motors" (locomotive)used on
the CB&Q.
The caption mentions that the diesel powered train is one of the Twin
Cities Zephyrs.
The Aeolus was used as back-up power in case one of the diesels broke
down.

Gerald if you have any other questions or maybe have difficulty
getting a copy of the photo from the Denver Library, you can contact
anyone here on the CBQList or e-mail me directly at:
graywolfs2@hotmail.com
and I'll see if I can be of some help.

Greg K.

address of  tlin@p...  in your reply.
> (And it's not the photo in the BRHS Calendar for November 1999 -
already tried that)
> Thanks
> Rupert
>
> PART 1
> "Your site came up in my search for information on a photograph
taken in the 1930s at the West Hinsdale, Illinois depot of 2 Zephyrs,
called "Double Zephyrs."  They are on the westbound and center of the
three tracks.  The photo was taken from a signal bridge, now shown,
looking east, toward Chicago.  I would like to get a copy of the
photo.  I do not know where to go to find it.

> The photo appears in Robert Hughes, American Visions: An Epic
History of Art in America (New York:  Knopf, 1997), p. 460, with
credit to ARCHIVE PHOTOS.  I found nothing there.

> As a child I lived near the West Hinsdale depot, played there and
had a romantic interest in zephyrs as I watched them go by, and
actually took the California Zephyr to Oakland in 1949.  So my
interest in the photo is nostalgic and personal.

> I do not want to presume on your time; any suggestions you can
offer in my pursuit is appreciated.

> Gerald Ghelfi
>

> PART 2
> Thank you for your reply.  No, this is not the photo I am looking
for.  The one I want shows the West Hinsdale station to the right.
It does not show the signal bridge from where I am sure the picture
was taken; I said "now shown" in my initial message instead of "not
shown".
> The two engines are quite different; the one on the right has
windows, the one on the left does not; it has a logo I cannot read.
I do not know zephyrs well enough to suggest engine numbers, although
I have been doing some reading on zephyr history.

To visit your group on the web, go to: