[CBQ] Re: Carbon black covered hoppers - struck out

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Carbon black covered hoppers - struck out
From: "Brian Chapman" <cornbeltroute@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:35:49 -0000
I want to thank everyone who provided carbon black car information. I
made a tour Sunday -- Keokuk, Peoria, Galesburg -- but struck out. It
often happens.

My goal was to sneak up on one of these critters and capture and
release. Really need information on the Thrall saddle plus a couple
of other items.

There was one car spotted at the Keokuk plant, but the plant guard
seemed to view me as akin to a Middle Eastern terrorist, so I moved
on to the river yards in Keokuk. Interesting, but no CB cars. What's
the future hold for the three F-units, anyone know?

A number of black GP20s appeared as though they just came out of the
paint shop. Very nice.

On my way to Peoria, came across several old-time intermodal
trailers, another keen interest I have. So the trip was not a loss.
Plus, I discovered that Peoria is a graveyard bonanza when it comes
to old trailers. Wow.

One CB car was spotted behind Cat tire but I was leery about walking
down there, no public route. Drove east on Edmund St. to the entrance
of the ADM plant; to the north was a small yard. This is where CB
cars can often be found? My luck, not a car of any shape or size was
there Sunday. Empty.

Gates Tire at Galesburg, two CB cars were spotted, but on company
grounds behind gates. The cars were open-end types, anyway. But, an
interesting operation nonetheless.

Again, thanks to you all for providing the tips you did,

-Brian

Brian Chapman
Granger Roads
Cedar Rapids, Iowa