[CBQ] Re: pocket cal's

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: pocket cal's
From: "Ed DeRouin" <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 19:19:33 -0000
Steve:

Not sure if the accountants are to blame. The joy of work in the
corporate world has been wrung out by the increasing efficency
created by  the workahohlic mentality and technology. The
acountant only does what the boss tells him/her to do.

This seems to be true only in this country. Europeans laugh at
the US work ethic.

Good wiill?? I have heard that term before, but only in the
historical sense. Let me see if I can create an example. Ok, how
about this, suppose a major US rail transportation provider could
not manage its core business, but decided to create a revenue
stream from hobbists. No, that would not work, it is too
unbelievable.....

Ed

-- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Steven Holding" <s.holding@c...>
wrote:
> Ed
>
> Your are right on the cost containment issue but somewhere
the sense of good
> PR, and Good Will which use to be found in business has
gone out the window

wrote:
> > > "66 was last yr for pocket & wall - victims of the Menk/Quinn
> > era.  Earliest goes at least to late 20's; what's the oldest dare
of
> > > pocket anyone can document?  Walls go to at least 1890's
and
> > there were also 'card' style cal's back then.  Gerald
> >

> > Gerry:
> >
> > I can't let you get by with your remark about the calendars
being
> > victims of the Menk/Quinn era!
> >
> > Rather than slam executives, look at the numbers. Business
> > decisions are usually made based upon data. In that 'era'
> > passenger and freight revenues were declining and costs
were
> > rising. Passenger (and mail) revenues in that 'era' drastically
> > dropped.
> >
> > Put on your strategic planning hat. Look forward 5 to 10 years
> > from 1965 as executives as supposed to. What do you see?
The
> > merger? The end of the long distance passenger train? The
> > completion of the Interstate Highway System? How would
you
> > position your company?
> >
> > I suspect that cost containtment would be a first choice,
> > especially if the cost did not contribute to helping the bottom
line.
> > How many revenue dollars were added because of
calendars?

> > For too long, the railfan community has classified executives
by
> > how they extended the steam program, or played to the fan.
> > Compare the success of BN in the face of the bankruptcy of
PC.
> > Which executives had and executed a better plan?
> >
> > This soap box message was presented to offer a different
> > perspective.
> >
> > Gee, aren't the Broadway Limited E units neat and wouldn't it
be
> > neater if they produced an O5?
> >
> > Ed DeRouin
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links