Re: [CBQ] New BLI 2-8-2 O-4 details

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] New BLI 2-8-2 O-4 details
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 19:23:35 +0000
Florian -
When converting a coal-burning loco to oil, you need to remove the ash pans at
the bottom of the firebox above the trailing truck and provide piping from the
tender to the firebox for the oil.  The best photos are in Bernard Corbin's
Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route and Hol Wagner's The Colorado Road,
both of which are long out of print and expensive collectibles.  There are a
few photos in the recent color pictorials of the Q, C&S, and FW&D.

One excellent source is the Western History Collection of the Denver Public
Library, which includes B&W photos by Otto Perry, Robert Richardson, and
others.  The internet address is http://photoswest.org and includes primarily
railroads operating in Colorado.  If you are in Denver, you can visit the
Western History Collection on the 5th floor of the library at 13th and Broadway
and use computers there to review and print out images of this large
collection.  They also have guidebooks to the photos available.  You can order
B&W prints of the photos, but they are expensive and not any better than the
computer printouts.

I frequently use the collection for research and if you e-mail me at
railbass@comcast.net and let me know the period and line you are modeling, I
can locate whatever photos are available of these locos.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO
> Hi Gang.
> My two Broadway-Limited O-4 Mikados will arrive soon so it's time to
> go for the detail parts. I don't have a lot of photos to refer to,
> mainly the single page in "Steam Locomotives of the Burlington"
> After all I've seen there is evidence that at least those equiped
> with a Worthington BL feedwater heater had only one single air pump
> mounted on the right side of the engine. Can you confirm that?
>
> The factory lettering is gold on black, without the red background.
> Is this correct for the early 1940's ? Or do I replace it with white
> lettering on the O-4's ?
>
> After all I found out it is neccesary to convert the tender to oil.
> Does the switch to oil also affect any other important details on the
> loco itself?
>
> I am looking forwart to getting some imput, I would higly welcome
> suggestions on available photo sources.
>
> Many thanks in advance and best regards
> Florian
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links