Re: [CBQ] New BLI 2-8-2 O-4 details

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] New BLI 2-8-2 O-4 details
From: "Rob Adams" <steamera@netins.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 10:39:28 -0600
Florian;

A few years ago, Railmodel Journal published an article on
modeling the Q/C&S USRA O-4 locomotives in HO scale
starting from a Rivarossi model. (There was also similar N
scale coverage using a neat detail kit for the Kato
model).  Much of the information in that article would be
relevant to your pursuit.  If I recall correctly, they
even covered building an oil bunker for the tender.  I'm
away from my references right now, so can't tell you the
exact issue.  My recollection is that there were several
good photos of in-service engines including some late
1950's color shots.

Because each locomotive could have its own individual
features, and the numbering/lettering changed through the
years on some O-4 engines, I'd recommend trying to find
photos of the specific unit(s) at the approximate time
that you are trying to model.

Commercial sources for steam photos such as MD McCarter,
Harold Vollrath, and others would be a good place to
start.   Most likely, an SSAE with a BRIEF list of engine
numbers you are looking for would let you know what is out
there.  Chances are, other members of this list may be
able to point out specific sources.  Spending  a little
money on photos will make it much easier to detail your
new models.

I hope this is of some aid to your efforts.

Kind regards, Rob Adams