Re: [CBQ] Re:BLI USRA 2-8-2

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re:BLI USRA 2-8-2
From: railbass@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 18:48:48 +0000
Jonathan -
My source is Hol Wagner's The Colorado Road (1970), in which he describes the
delivery of FW&D 451-455, class E-4A2, from Baldwin in April 1919 as the last
coal burners, complete with Duplex stokers, purchased by the FW&D.  All FW&D
engines built after 1919 were delivered as oil burners.  When WWI oil rationing
ended, the USRA 2-8-2s were converted to oil in 1921.  They were never equipped
with feedwater heaters or exhaust steam injectors and had headlights centered
on the smokebox front, unlike typical Q practice.  #453 was destroyed in a
wreck in 1948, and the last two, #451 and #454, were sold for scrap in 1960.

These five locos, plus fifteen for the Q, were the only USRA 2-8-2s purchased
by Burlington roads.  Q never bought any USRA copies, and continued their O-1A
series, a modification of the 60 O-1s built in 1910 and 1911 by Baldwin, with
148 being built by Baldwin between 1917 and 1923, according to Bernard Corbin's
Steam Locomotives of the Burlington Route.  Slightly larger O-2 (100) and O-3
(60) engines were built in 1912-13 and 1915-19, but all of these were modified
in later years, and the O-1As were the predominant class of 2-8-2s.  C&S bought
five 2-8-2s, similar to the O-1s except for 57" drivers, from Baldwin in 1911.
In 1915, the FW&D bought ten 2-8-2s, identical to Q O-1, and delivered by
Baldwin as oil-burners.  In 1920, FW&D bought five O-3 copies #456-460, and in
1922 received five heavier O-3 copies, #461-465.  The twenty USRA 2-8-2s were
in a decided minority on the Q system.

The Q O-4s were only modified by feedwater heaters and conversion to oil, and
most operated on the western divisions with a number being leased to the C&S
and FW&D.  The C&S purchase in June 1957 was the last acquisition of steam on
the Q system.  Unfortunately, none of the Q/FW&D/C&S USRA 2-8-2s were preserved.
- John Manion
  Denver, CO

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511