[CBQ] Re: New BLI 2-8-2 O-4 details

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: New BLI 2-8-2 O-4 details
From: jonathanharris@earthlink.net
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 09:12:26 -0800
Hi Florian --

I don't have answers to all your questions, but based on what I think I
know, here are some suggestions (answers interpolated through your
questions, below):

>Hi Gang.
>My two Broadway-Limited O-4 Mikados will arrive soon so it's time to
>go for the detail parts. I don't have a lot of photos to refer to,
>mainly the single page in "Steam Locomotives of the Burlington"

There are also about 10 photos of the O-4s on the Denver Public Library's
website --

http://photoswest.org/

and Jan Kohl has a few more on his Castle Graphics website --

http://www.castlegraphics.com

>After all I've seen there is evidence that at least those equiped
>with a Worthington BL feedwater heater had only one single air pump
>mounted on the right side of the engine. Can you confirm that?

If by "single" you mean just one pump, yes -- and that was also true of the
Elesco-equipped locomotives (only the FW&D engines, which had no feedwater
heaters, just injectors, retained the original, fireman's side position for
the pump). But technically it's not a "single air pump" (which has only one
cylinder); it's a "compound" or "cross-compound air pump" (which has two
cylinders, a big and a little one, side by side). Just a point of
terminology, but I'd hate to see you ordering the wrong detail part.  Note
also that when you re-locate the pump to the engineer's side of the
locomotive, you will need to move the power reverse forward slightly to
make room for it. And you may need to adjust the piping somewhat (e.g. the
cooling coils, intake for the pump, etc.) in other respects. Study the
photos to see exactly what needs to be done and where.

Other obvious details you'll need to change are moving the generator from
in front of the stack to in front of the cab -- mounted sideways (!) on the
engineer's side -- and (probably) for 5508, replacing the original trailing
truck with a "Delta-B" type. I say "probably," because I don't know when
this was done. All the photos I have of that engine are from the 1950s.
Someone else on the list may know when the switch was made. I'm sure it did
not come from Baldwin that way in 1919.

>The factory lettering is gold on black, without the red background.
>Is this correct for the early 1940's ? Or do I replace it with white
>lettering on the O-4's ?

I believe the "gold" lettering on the cab is still correct. I don't know
about the herald on the tender, but I'm guessing it's OK. I'm sure another
list-er will know.

>After all I found out it is neccesary to convert the tender to oil.
>Does the switch to oil also affect any other important details on the
>loco itself?

Not too much, I think. There was a small round "lid" hanging on a wire
behind the stack, which could be slipped up the wire and flipped over to
cover the stack when the engine was dead. You can see it clearly in the
photos of 5508 and 5509 on pages 118 & 119 of Corbin & Kerka. Why this was
used more on oil-burning engines than on coal-fired ones I can't tell you,
but apparently it was.

>I am looking forwart to getting some imput, I would higly welcome
>suggestions on available photo sources.

Besides the sources mentioned above, there are a few photos in 3 of the
"Four Ways West" color pictorials -- Holck (Burlington Route V.1), Fulcomer
(C&S Southern Division), and Goen (FW&D). Other books on the FW&D or C&S
standard gauge will likely have some photos of these engines near the end
of their careers, when they were leased to the two subsidiaries or (in the
case of the C&S) purchased by them.

Good luck,
Jonathan

Yahoo! Groups Links